Global set me a task to redesign the Capital FM app experience, including thinking about how content could be better surfaced, creating an appraisal of the live view, how we could drive more interaction and how to encourage longer listening.
After conducting a full appraisal of the Capital FM app and My Capital, I sought out to get some input from real users and to ask them a series of questions about how they rate the experience to better understand where the focal point of improvements should be made.
After conducting some user interviews, I then deconstructed the experience and focused on the results of the research to create an experience which resonated with the Capital FM target audience. I created a mid-fi prototype and presented it back to Global which was highly received.
Appraisal of live
During the user interviews, these five themes were the ones that made the current user experience bothersome for some
Where would you tap to watch Capital TV? Is this enough to make you watch it?
Trying to find it
Music is normally background to something I'm doing so not something I'd use much
I personally have never watched music videos
It's a radio app. You log on for radio. I do listen to capital in the car. I'm not fussed about watching the tv ap at all. Maybe smaller YouTube vids or video bites on a separate page on the app
I didn’t feel inclined to have a look at it, it felt like you’d need to know what the content was going to be like to want to click it. You could add a bit of blurb or a short clip of an example of what you’d be getting if you clicked and watched it
What do you find most frustrating about the app?
everytime you go in the app it automatically plays
I can't pick a track from the upcoming list have to scroll thru songs
Live music starting instantly. Let me choose when to press play
Not being able to skip through a song to a given point
[After you like a song] What do you expect to happen after doing this?
The song to play
Possibly a play list created with songs I like
Erm...recognise your likes (or dislikes) and present songs from playlist similar to your likes.
it would queue similar music
Added to favourites?
I’d expect that to affect the choices of music that would come up on my capital for me
If you could change one thing about the app, what would it be and why?
I personally would prefer it if the music ‘switched off’ itself when I left the app rather than me having to remember to press pause/stop
Starting sound instantly
stop it playing automatically and have the option to play as and when you want
General comments about content
full of gossip more than music
The content isn’t that interesting or relevant for me
For me no but it's a lot of pop culture stuff about celebs I personally don't care about
I have no interest in celebrity gossip
Better surfacing of content
- Optimising height of the player, giving the users the information and controls that they need in one space.
- Condensed 'up next' into a scrolling carousel component to show the next two songs.
- Utilising the destination to be more of a 'hub' showing a greater variety of content from around Capital FM.
- Adding tags so that the user can find the content that is most relevant to them.
- Adding more context to Capital TV to give users more insight into where the CTA leads.
- Only showing highlights of latest news and a CTA driving users to a news hub rather than unnecessarily overdriving cognitive load and creating a long page.
Drive more interactions
- Familiar interface creates a more friendly and inviting experience.
- Adding in MyCapital like and dislike buttons into Live.
- Adding in positive feedback with controls are pressed.
- Live interaction with shows directly from the app in the form of polls or live competition entries.
Promote longer listening
- Auto play turned off, tap thumbnail to play.
- Opportunity to carry on with a part listened to show or podcast.
- What's new hub highlighting best bits of shows and new content encouraging the user to listen in more either via live or listen again.
- Utilise familiar interface controls.
- Adding more life to 'up next' by animation/gesture based controls.
- Bring more content above the fold.
- Add more context to Capital TV area.
- Optimising the look of news articles to make them more digestible and scannable.
- Keep copy short and snappy.
- Limited colour palette - focussing on function over complexity.
My Capital: Better interactions
- Clear interaction points to give user full control.
- Adding in a scrubber bar.
- Adding in positive feedback on like/dislike.
- Adding in like/dislike buttons into the playlist.
- Conventional playlist to aid easier interaction.
- Less noise and complexity.
- Consistent control bar.
My Capital: Promote more skips
- Positive feedback after interaction.
- Tap on any song to skip to it.
- Adding skip in with the like and dislike controls into Live view.
- Skip in main control bar.
My Capital: More likes and dislikes
- Positive feedback after interaction.
- Freedom to like and dislike all songs in playlist without skipping to them.
- Visibility of previous likes and dislikes and how that action impacts your experience.
I’m a multi-skilled designer with a passion for creating good things that bring people closer together. My ultimate career goal has always been to bring the audience to the forefront of everything that I do, spreading happiness and meaningful stories through engaging and memorable experiences, using design-thinking central in all my work. I have a particular interest in UX processes and human-centered-design methodologies to help aid in the creation of relevant solutions that matter.
I am also rather fond of doodling, pretending I am good at Instagram, cycling, motorbikes, skating, and dogs.